Monday 25 April 2016

Monesterio to Calzadilla and the Villafranca de los Barros 24/25 Apr

Sun 24 Apr. Left Monesterio at just after 0700 and walked in near perfect conditions. Clear sky with an almost full moon to start and a good track. Hundreds of birds including lots of cuckoos- in fact so many cuckoos the they sound like there had a stutter. Got to Fuente de Cantos at 1100 after 22kms and being early on a Sunday it was closed! I planned to walk on another 6km to Calzadilla but it was a bit of a gamble as it wasn't clear if a Hostal there was open or had rooms.  Wanted to try though as I need to combine  a few stages as there is one very long one coming up with no options and if I'm not careful I'll end up with a stage too short. Getting to Calzadilla means 28km today then 36 tomorrow to Vilafranca de los Barros missing out Zafra. Luckily all was ok and I'm settled for the day. Place is a bit basic but ok. No wifi though which is a bit of a pain. Walked today with a friend I had not seen for a while. Great walking companion. Always keeps my pace although sometimes he can be a little in front or a little behind. Doesn't get any aches and pains or need suntan lotion as he is almost black. He doesn't have much to say for himself either. Hope he is with me tomorrow. Can you guess who it is?

Mon 25 Apr Calzadilla to Villafranca de los Barros 36km. Good walk today with lots of sun and spring flowers. Must be about 24 deg now. I planned to avoid Zafra so I plotted my own you're with the help of Google maps - great that you can save maps off line now. Left just after 0700 and stop walking at 1430. Good tracks all the way. This is Serrano country ( yum yum) so the smell of pigs is all pervading. Had to cross a few railway tracks today but they are pretty simple here- I wonder how the accident rate compares?

No comments:

Post a Comment