Saturday 17 September 2011

Fri 16 Sep - Not the best of nights as the locals were up until 0200 and all the very bright lights stayed on all night throughout the village. Made worse at around 0200 when they appeared to be making a lot of noise just to keep us pilgrims awake. Given our general tiredness and tendancy to get up at 0600 i was somewhat annoyed and explained to them that i considered them to be very rude. Went back to my bed and they just got more disruptive so my diplomatic envoy paid a visit (that would be Ian ) and explain without words what they should do (I think it also involved food as I did hear him say 'come and get it'). They finally left at around 0230. However, I was wide awake by then so strolled around the village until about 0430. Added to this Ian went straight to sleep and proceeded to snore at high volume until 0600 - made worse by the echos in the space......... So up at 0600 and walking by 0630. Anyone reading this and planning a camino should at all costs avoid Villamayor de Monjardin as they clearly do not want the pilgrims there. So off for another moonlight walk and even saw a bright shooting star - so wished for pestilence for the people of V de M - or at least the cold and sore throat than we pilgrims have given to each other over the first few days of the walk. On a brighter side my little keyring led torch - £3.50 from ebay as recommended by my friend AJ - has proved invaluable during the first hour of the days walk to see the camino signs. Also as Christa packed my medical kit I have had everything I need (Lemsip, painkillers for my sore throat and cold ) as well as being able to help my fellow hikers. Got to our destination, Viana, at 1330 (another 30kms) to find the CdP closed for 3 days! Luckly, a lady saw our plight and said she had rooms. There were 4 of us at the time so we had 2 doubles for 20 euros per person, complete with showera,sheets and towel. Now just cooling off till dinner at about 1900 then hopefully a good nights sleep. However, Ian is sharing with me!

1 comment:

  1. Poor health and sleep deprivation not a good mix. Hope things improve for you quickly.

    ReplyDelete